Rucksack Review: Rothco Alice Pack

Rothco Large Alice pack with frame

There's something romantic about a fully framed rucksack, whether a traditional metal frame makes you smile, or a lightweight plastic replacement itches your fix for the best outdoor experience possible. There's comfort in rigidity.

As an impartial consumer I decided it was time to bring my dreams of a more comfortable hike into reality. 

That's when I found the Rothco Alice Pack with metal frame.

When I entered the market looking for a bag I knew I wanted a few things. I wanted a fair price, a full frame, and something large enough for a few days.
With those three requirements I set off scouring the internet, When I returned I came up with this.

Rothco Large Alice Pack With Frame

ALICE: All purpose, Lightweight,Individual, Carrying, Equipment System
Size: 22x20x19 (about 50L)
Material: 420D Nylon, rubber coated on the interior
Pockets: 3 large vented, 3 small pouch, one upper interior
Weight: 176 ounces / 11 Lbs
Price: $148.99 (from Rothco's Web store)



As weight is always a serious concern I had trouble initially buying this, at almost 11 Lbs this pack is by no means light, my only rationalization came from my own weight. As a larger hiker (210 on a bad day) I felt I could make the extra weight work as trade off for the room and comfort it brings.
Its rubberized interior and tough 420D nylon makes this bag durable feeling in hand and gives you confidence in wet weather.
The only changes I felt necessary after purchase was the implementation of a Fjall Raven Chest strap, and the replacement of a couple slip style fasteners with a quicker buckle, all parts included cost less than $20.00 dollars.

At the end of the day I would recommend this rucksack to anybody looking for a reasonably priced pack, I have no reason to doubt this pack will go anywhere anytime soon.



















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts